Subject: Re: Hackeretos och inkluderande språkbruk

Re: Hackeretos och inkluderande språkbruk

From: Joakim Signal <tut_at_lysator.liu.se>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 22:56:07 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 31 Aug 2010, at 15:18, Aveen Ismail wrote:

> On 08/31/2010 02:36 PM, Mac Ryan wrote:
>> > Regarding changes in how we communicate, why is this discussion
>> > suddenly in english? This is a swedish FOSS group
>> >
>> This is another of those stereotypes that are legitimate (as nearly any
>> stereotype is) but part themselves from reality quite a bit: not
>> everybody who lives in Stockholm speaks Swedish, and most definitively
>> not everybody who works or is interested in FOSS does.
>>
>> I am not taking position on whether it is more inclusive to use Swedish
>> or English on this list, but as a foreigner, I can guarantee that
>> *assuming* that because the list is geographically focused on Stockholm
>> the language should be Swedish, definitively conveys a different feeling
>> than inclusiveness. It's a typical case of overlooking minorities.
>>

> I don't really remember who said what anymore, but I don't think that the
> point of the statement above was to get anybody thinking that they aught to
> be writing in Swedish here, but merely making a point that this overreaction
> to a joke just because it had the word "girlfriend" in it was as absurd as
> requiring everyone to write to this list in Swedish just because we are based
> in Sweden.

Hm, perhaps Lojban would be the best human language for us to use?
There would not be much advantage or disadvantage in regards to geographical
location, cultural background or other linguistic skills.
Also, it's unlikely that any of us already speaks Lojban, further leveling
the playing field.

Assuming all of us would be willing to spend large amounts of time learning this
language, it would still take a few years for us to become fluent speakers.

If this task for some peculiar reason sounds unreasonable to you, then our
continued use of swedish and english would be just fine by me.

/Joakim