Subject: Re: Hackeretos och inkluderande språkbruk

Re: Hackeretos och inkluderande språkbruk

From: Aveen Ismail <avin_at_kth.se>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 2010 15:18:25 +0200

On 08/31/2010 02:36 PM, Mac Ryan wrote:
>> Regarding changes in how we communicate, why is this discussion
>> suddenly in english? This is a swedish FOSS group
>>
> This is another of those stereotypes that are legitimate (as nearly any
> stereotype is) but part themselves from reality quite a bit: not
> everybody who lives in Stockholm speaks Swedish, and most definitively
> not everybody who works or is interested in FOSS does.
>
> I am not taking position on whether it is more inclusive to use Swedish
> or English on this list, but as a foreigner, I can guarantee that
> *assuming* that because the list is geographically focused on Stockholm
> the language should be Swedish, definitively conveys a different feeling
> than inclusiveness. It's a typical case of overlooking minorities.

I don't really remember who said what anymore, but I don't think that
the point of the statement above was to get anybody thinking that they
aught to be writing in Swedish here, but merely making a point that this
overreaction to a joke just because it had the word "girlfriend" in it
was as absurd as requiring everyone to write to this list in Swedish
just because we are based in Sweden.

/Aveen