Subject: Re: Political correctness in FOSS

Re: Political correctness in FOSS

From: Joakim Signal <tut_at_lysator.liu.se>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:04:41 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, at 15:02, Per Andersson wrote:

> Because the original comment that I commented on was in english maybe. I don't
> understand what writing in english has to do with political correctness, lots of
> people wrote in english before me.

Nobody requested english, so why such a switch?
But maybe I just assumed incorrectly about that.

> There are lots of comments about "political correctness" leading to absurd
> situations. It is very simple to avoid: Don't be absurd! (Like you are now for
> instance with linking english with political correctness.)

Uh, yeah sure.
They are always so easy to avoid, that's why there are never any absurd
situations in society.

> I fail to see how "all groups" having internal jokes make any of them good
> (jokes or groups).

Because there would often be a lack of freedom, flexibility, efficiency and
nice atmosphere inside groups if they can't have internal discussions, jokes
and traditions.

> Internal things are generally pretty bad if you want to recruit new blood. It
> makes it hard to join because unwritten rules dictate behaviour and
> expectations.

Strive to make the important ones official and write them down on a wiki or
similar?

> That is horse manure. Of course we don't need money to recruit new people, we
> can all do it! Just invite people to start using free software, that would not
> have made the step themselvel. Cost nothing, in terms of money, and is the best
> way to recruit new contributors, by inviting them to use free software.

We can do it without money, but money would make it easier.
It would mean more ability to do things like recruiting and evangelizing,
because it could be done by paid personnel. And more resources for traveling,
hardware infrastructure, literature, etc.
Even such dirty things as lobbying politicians (in honest ways) to improve
laws, education, IT industry strategies, etc to our favour =)

> No, who has spoken about forbidding anything?

Ok, perhaps not forbidding. But for our activities you seem inclined to suppress
things like that web comic I linked to.

> Which is why the free software community, which has a pretty bad reputation,
> should make an effort. Is that wrong?

In my opinion the free software community has a fairly good reputation in
general. There are some valid criticisms about fanatics and poor treatment of
women for example. But there is also a lot of invalid FUD and ignorance from
outsiders.

>> So I fail to see why we should stop the tradition of having a strong
>> dedication to our craft, or stop being passionate about high quality
>> software (which are some of the things that people refer to with this "elite
>> thinking" labeling).
>
> Strong dedication to our craft has nothing to do with our ways of communicating.
> I don't follow you at all.

I was responding to your claims about how the outside world view our behaviour,
I wasn't talking about which methods of communication our members employ.

/Joakim