Subject: Re: CS: Inget intresse för Linux på kontorsdatorn

Re: CS: Inget intresse för Linux på kontorsdatorn

From: Jeremiah Foster <jeremiah_at_jeremiahfoster.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2010 18:04:37 -0400

On Oct 20, 2010, at 15:28, Björn Göransson wrote:

> För övrigt verkar följande vara ursprungsartikeln, publicerad tre dagar tidigare: http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/207999/desktop_linux_the_dream_is_dead.html

Utter nonsense. I wouldn't trust a word written by PCWorld - they are a notorious publisher of marketing text, as is IDG.

Do you really think Intel, who is investing more that 100 million US in MeeGo thinks that Linux is dead on the netbook? On the mobile phone? In the car? What about Nokia? They sell netbooks now, don't you think you'll see MeeGo on them eventually? Nokia has a billion customers - not exactly a 'dead' market.

Microsoft's monopoly is impossible to defend for the simple reason that as hardware costs come down, the software license costs begin to eat into the profit margin of the hardware manufacturer. If your netbook costs 2,000 SEK and the software license costs 1,000 SEK to Acer - where is the profit going? To Acer? Or to Microsoft?

If you're Acer what do you do? Obviously you try push that license cost down and that is precisely what happened with Windows XP; it was end of life, but the netbook manufacturers _forced_ Microsoft to make it available longer, in turn they put it on their netbooks. But even XP development is not sustainable, nor profitable.

All this marketing FUD you hear about Linux is merely positioning and branding because Microsoft is under direct assault, and their market is crumbling. Their stock price has been flat for years now, they cannot expand into other markets like the embedded space, and they have lost the server business. The only Microsoft division that makes money is XBox aside from the Windows / Office franchises. Ray Ozzie has left, key Vice Presidents have been fired, Apple has passed them in market capitalization. All this points to the erosion of the Microsoft business model and the last stronghold - the desktop - is being nibbled at by Ubuntu, MeeGo, and others.

Yeah, more people use Windows on the Desktop, but that is just temporary. :-)

Jeremiah