Subject: Re: Hackeretos och inkluderande språkbruk

Re: Hackeretos och inkluderande språkbruk

From: Henrik Nordström <henrik_at_henriknordstrom.net>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 09:53:54 +0200

tis 2010-08-31 klockan 14:36 +0200 skrev Mac Ryan:

> I am not taking position on whether it is more inclusive to use Swedish
> or English on this list, but as a foreigner, I can guarantee that
> *assuming* that because the list is geographically focused on Stockholm
> the language should be Swedish, definitively conveys a different feeling
> than inclusiveness. It's a typical case of overlooking minorities.

For me it should not matter if english or Swedish being used at the
writers preference. English is not an official language in Sweden, and
far from everyone is comfortable with expressing their views or ideas in
english. And as you correctly note Swedish is not the native language of
everyone on this list.

So everyone, just write in Swedish, Norwegian, Danish or English as you
feel suitable. The audience is likely to understand what you are saying
in either of these. Maybe some other language as well if you think the
audience will understand.

Kind regards
Henrik