Subject: Re: EU-kommissionen och FOSS-stockholm

Re: EU-kommissionen och FOSS-stockholm

From: Peter Eriksson <peter_at_emediate.se>
Date: Mon, 03 Feb 2014 10:56:16 +0100

On 2014-02-03 09:56, Janne Johansson wrote:

>>> I'd say this is an opinion and not a fact.

>>> I don't see people having a hard time auditing OpenSSL due to the
>>> license, and that isn't GPLv3.
>>>

>> What I think he means is that with Open Source licenses you can make
>> propritary producs that are changed in a way that differs from public
>> versions of openssl. If our goal is to make the EU run code that is auditable
>> then we need to have a license that guarantees this. But that could ofcourse
>> be solved with some law or regulation which would provide a safeguard
>> against propritary binaries. But why not use a license that guarantees this
>> from the beginning?
>
> They would only have to have a directive that says "publish the code you run", regardless of if it is GPL or MIT/X11 or made
> specifically for them by code monkeys in a commercial setting. And this "rule" would go in the same place where you would put "You
> must use GPLv3 license" and it would work equally well to allow EU citizens to audit the code we want our Union to run.

Not to be like this, but I think this is the problem right here. Why get stuck in a discussion about semantics when the bigger
issue is to get away from propritary to something better. Even if it is a little better, it is still better and a path to follow.

--
Regards
Peter Eriksson - Senior Systems Administrator