Subject: Re: CS: Inget intresse för Linux på kontorsdatorn

Re: CS: Inget intresse för Linux på kontorsdatorn

From: Glenn <glenn.bjorcken_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 22:34:11 +0200

2010/10/21 Jeremiah Foster <jeremiah_at_jeremiahfoster.com>

> Gnutiken, a Free Software economic cooperative (handelsbolag) in Gothenburg
> has been approached by school teachers looking for decent, inexpensive
> software for their students. Every time a discussion like this occurs, the
> teacher goes away from Gnutiken excited by the many possibilities that Free
> Software has to offer their students. Once they discuss the purchase of
> services from Gnutiken or even getting software online for free, they are
> invariably told that under no circumstances are they allowed to install Free
> Software on the school's computers. This would make Microsoft upset and
> they'd stop giving deep discounts.

Well, since microsoft sell their OS and software very very cheap to schools,
especially on university level, there is no real economic incitament to
change that, unfortunatly.

They also give OS and software for free to students under Academic Alliance,
ofcourse they are not the only ones that do this, but as I just said, there
is usally no reason to change from microsoft when only counting money.

..Then of course, a lot of teachers/lectors/professors already use
microsoft at home, and they don't WANT to change that, they just think that
everything else is bad, even without even giving it a try.