Subject: Re: CS: Inget intresse för Linux på kontorsdatorn

Re: CS: Inget intresse för Linux på kontorsdatorn

From: Per Andersson <avtobiff_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 15:34:59 +0200

Hi!

2010/10/21 Jeremiah Foster <jeremiah_at_jeremiahfoster.com>:

> On Oct 21, 2010, at 03:29, Björn Göransson wrote:
>
>> What really brought me to my knees was collaborating in my daily job with people using MS office (their xml format). If not, I'd be using linux still.
>>
>> If you have a shiny title from microsoft, you will get more clients. But to get this title, you need to get a certain number of certifications for your employees from MS-licensed educational companies. If you have that title, you'll get greatly reduced prices on MSDN subscriptions (download all ms products for a monthly fee). Given that this is a part of your business strategy (it is, for a lot of IT-conslutancy companies), you will have a lot of MS software to install on your machines, a lot of people knowing MS technology, and a lot of clients wanting MS-based solutions.
>>
>> The circle is complete!
>
> Indeed - and this is very smart. In many ways, Microsoft has been the first Open Source business. They have always allowed "free" installations of their software, if you have an install disk at work you can take it and use it at home, thereby creating a viral customer base, which they monetize later by enforcing licenses. They have always tolerated a grey market, whereby you can buy cheaper student version without proving you are a student and Microsoft bets you'll upgrade.

What is described above is *not* open source in any way, it is lock-in.

> So how do we get software users and not just software developers to use Free Software on the 'desktop'? Simply by writing really great software.

I don't think that only great software will do, you also need to create software
for actual users. And, get them using it!

Too much free software is made for developers, with the only focus being
the developer (when writing the code) and not including the actual end users.

Look at Ubuntu for a good example of how focus is raised towards
end users.

--
Per